Prospective Students

The purpose of this page is to provide you with essential information to help you prepare for student life. Of particular importance is how to access the Disabled Student’s Allowances (DSA) to cover the cost of the support you may require whilst studying at the University of South Wales. Applying early for DSA will be beneficial to ensure you receive the necessary support from the beginning of your course.

We would like to take the opportunity to reassure you that you will not be discriminated against as a result of disclosing a disability or Specific Learning Difficulty (such as dyslexia). The University is committed to promoting equality, striving for best practice and aiming for an inclusive learning environment.

If you are attending the University for an interview, please contact an adviser if you have any specific support requirements, such as a BSL interpreter or familiarisation support. Wheelchair users wishing to study at either Treforest or Glyntaff campus will require an electronic wheelchair.

The University is committed to providing an inclusive environment and aims to support disabled students and those with specific learning difficulties by changing policies and practices, and providing practical support. If you think the Disability & Dyslexia Service can assist you in any way please contact a Disability Adviser as soon as possible. You will be offered a professional, sensitive and confidential meeting with no obligation to take things further if you do not wish too.

A wide range of support is available, whether you have a Specific Learning Difficulty or a particular impairment. The Disability & Dyslexia Service aim to respond to your individual needs.

Aspergers Syndrome Information on receiving support for a SpLD Mental Wellbeing Support Mobility Impairment Support Hearing Impairment Support for a medical condition Visual Impairment A-Z of Support

Required Documentation

If you have a disability, health condition or impairment, you will be requested to provide documentation relating to your disability. This may be in the form of a letter from your consultant or doctor outlining the nature of your impairment / disability. The documentation can be used to apply for DSA funding to cover the cost of your support.

Specific Learning Difficulties are conditions such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, ADHD: if you have a Specific Learning Difficulty and would like to apply for Disabled Students Allowance, you will need to provide a post-16 diagnostic assessment report conducted by a suitably qualified person, such as an Educational Psychologist. If you do not currently have an appropriate assessment report and want to arrange an assessment in your local area by an accredited Educational Psychologist contact the British Dyslexia Association.

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

Students from the UK can usually apply to their Funding Body for Disabled Students Allowances to pay for specialist equipment/software and non-medical helper’s assistance to support them in their studies: non-medical helper’s assistance includes note taking in lectures, one-to-one study skills’ tuition and other assistance.

As part of your application for the DSA, your Funding Body will request that you attend an informal assessment called a Needs Assessment, this is to establish the support you require based on your individual needs and the course requirements.


If you wish to live in Halls of Residence and are likely to require any additional support, it is necessary to state that you have a disability on your accommodation application form. This will then allow accommodation to ensure that you are offered appropriate accommodation.