Getting started

If you have a disability and require support, the first step is to make an appointment with one of our specialist Disability Advisers to discuss your needs.

Disability Service – The process for Exploring Support

Gwasanaeth Anabledd – Y Broses o Chwilio am Gymorth


When you meet with a Disability Adviser, you will be asked to sign a Data Consent Agreement, agreeing that the Disability Service can store your information and share appropriate information with appropriate staff and external stakeholders (please note: If you do not want any information shared within the University or wider, the support which can be provided may be restricted). The Disability Service does not routinely include the details of students’ disabilities in communication with other University staff. However, your Disability Adviser will discuss with you, the benefits of making an Enhanced Disclosure, whereby some more detailed information about your disability can be be made available to appropriate University Staff.


You will be requested to provide documentation relating to your disability. This may be in the form of a letter from your consultant or doctor outlining the nature and extent of your impairment / disability.

If you have a Specific Learning Difficulty you will need to provide a post-16 diagnostic assessment report conducted by a suitably qualified person, such as an Educational Psychologist. If you are a USW student and you suspect that you may have dyslexia or another SpLD / require an up to date assessment, the Disability Service can help you to arrange an on site assessment with an appropriately qualified assessor.

Individual Support Plan

On receipt of your documentation, your Disability Adviser will compile your Individual Support Plan which details the relevant support and adjustments which have been agreed to meet your needs.

Section B of your ISP will be made available to appropriate University staff in order for adjustments to be put in place as appropriate. Where an enhanced disclosure has been made, a statement about your disability (as agreed with you) will be included. If your circumstances and therefore your support needs change, please contact a disability adviser so that your Individual Support Plan can be updated

PEEP – Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan

If you are likely to experience difficulty in safely evacuating University buildings in the event of an emergency evacuation, please discuss your requirements with your Disability Adviser. Your Disability Adviser will gather some further information about your requirements and possible support/ adjustment requirements and will pass this information on to your faculty. Your faculty will then liaise with you to draw up a PEEP which meets your requirements.

Campus Accessibility & Accessible Parking

Campus and Building Maps (Information on the locations of accessible toilets, access routes, lifts etc) FindaRoom
Treforest Site Map
Lower Glyntaff Site Map
Upper Glyntaff Site Map
On-Campus Parking: If you are a Blue Badge holder then Disabled parking permits are issued free of charge.

If you are not in receipt of a blue badge, then supporting medical evidence will need to be provided with your Disabled Parking Permit Application and a fee will be charged for the permit which can be paid online . To apply for disabled parking please complete the Disabled parking permit application form and return it to Kelly Owen, Disability Service (Student Services).

Exam Adjustments

You should take a copy of your Individual Support Plan to each examination you have.

Possible Exam Adjustments

If you require specific adjustments for written exams, please make an appointment to discuss these with a Disability Adviser as soon as possible. The appropriate recommendations will need to be discussed and added to your Individual Support Plan before February 14th in order to guarantee that adjustments can be made.

Late requests for adjustments for written exams can be discussed and submitted up until March 15th and will be considered but provision cannot be guaranteed.

The Assessment and Awards Unit will contact you in March each academic year to confirm details of your exam support and the modules for which you are expected to sit exams in May. If you do not receive correspondence but require examination support, you must contact a Disability Adviser” immediately.

If you do not respond by the deadline given, support arrangements for your examinations will not be made.

If you require exam provisions for an in-class test, please contact the lecturer who has set this assessment and provide them with a copy of part B of your Individual Support Plan directly, which will outline your recommended exam support.

Disabled Students Allowances

If appropriate your Disability Advisers will assist you in making an application to your funding body for Disabled Students Allowances funding to cover the cost of additional specialist disability related support.

Your Individual Support Plan will be updated to incorporate any additional support recommendations which are made as a result of the DSA Needs Assessment process.

For further information, Disability Rights uk have produced a helpful guide to accessing disability related support in Higher Education: Into HE 2018