Disabled Students Allowances (DSA)

UK Students with on-going health conditions, disabilities, mental health or specific learning difficulties (e.g. dyslexia) can usually apply for funding through the Disabled Students Allowances (DSA) to pay for personal assistance and equipment to support their studies.

Student Finance England have produced the following video to explain what DSA is and how it works:

DSA is allocated to eligible students in addition to the standard student funding package and do not have to be repaid (as long as you complete the course).

If you are eligible for this allowance, a Disability Adviser will help you apply; if you are not eligible a Disability Adviser will assist you with other possible sources of support.

For more information about DSA Eligibility and the application process please visit:

Needs Assessment

If your Funding Body accept your application for the DSA, they will request that you arrange Needs Assessment to explore your disability related requirements. You can find details of all registered access centers at the NNAC website

When your Needs Assessment report is finalised, a copy will be sent to your Funding Body, who will consider the recommendations and write to you directly to inform you of what support they will fund. Once you have received your final report please arrange to meet with a Disability Adviser to discuss the outcome of the report and put the recommended support in place.