Non-Medical Helper Support Costs:
Please see the link below for our current rates:
Please note that No VAT is charged by the Disability Service for these roles.
Our preferred second supplier for NMH support is Clarion
Assistive Technology Training:
USW is not a registered provider of DSA Assistive Technology Training.
DSA Computer Contributions:
- Home students studying at University of South Wales, can apply to the Hardship Fund for assistance with the cost of student contribution to DSA computer equipment. The fund is means tested and funding cannot be guaranteed. Students should contact the Student Money and Advice Team for further information
Learning and Teaching:
- Lecture capture via Panopto is available at the University of South Wales, but is not available in all teaching venues or across all courses. The Disability Service is therefore unable to guarantee lecture capture facilities for all sessions and it is advised that alternative methods for recording lectures are recommended for students via DSA.
IT and Library Provision:
- Students can download MS Office 365 free of charge via the Microsoft portal. Guidance on how to do so can be found at IT Services
- USW students get access to Google Drive as part of their student account giving them access to Google Docs and 30GB of cloud based storage.
- The University provides campus-wide internet and wireless network services free to students offering a flexible way to access online resources across the University campuses.
- Laptops and digital recorders are available to disabled students on a short term loan basis via the Library. However, demand for this is high and provision cannot be guaranteed.
- Inspiration software is available on all open access PCs in the University’s library spaces.
- Supernova is available on a number of open access PCs in the University’s library spaces.
- Multifunctional photocopiers / scanners are available throughout the library spaces.
- Bookable spaces within the library spaces are available for students to book for small group or individual study sessions.
- All library spaces have designated quiet study areas.
- Extended loan time on Library resources for Disabled students registered with the Disability Service. One week loan resources may be borrowed for one additional week. High demand (two day) resources may be borrowed for up to one week.
- Learning Resource Centre is able to procure electronic versions of books on request.
- Subject specific librarians who can offer additional guidance on accessing resources and library facilities.
- Costs associated with the provision of examination adjustments (i.e. readers, scribes etc) which are deemed to be reasonable, are met by the University of South Wales.
- The Student Development and Study Skills Service offers support and guidance on academic performance related issues to all USW students. Students can access 1-1 support on an appointment basis Student Development and Study Skills Service
Campus Access and Parking:
- Campus parking permits are issued free of charge to Blue Badge holders. Students will need to provide a copy of their Blue badge along with a £10 refundable deposit for the swipe card to enable entry onto campus. Students who are not in receipt of a blue badge should discuss their own individual circumstances with a Disability Adviser.
- Disabled Students can be allocated a locker in which to store books and personal items when on campus. Students should discuss their own individual circumstances with a Disability Adviser.
- Hearing impaired students can be provided with a personal Deaf Alert pager to ensure that they are notified in the event of an emergency evacuation (i.e. fire) on campus