Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a selection of Frequently Asked Questions for students who are receiving support or looking to receive support from the Disability & Dyslexia Service

General Questions
By letting the University know that you have a disability, consideration can then be given to any reasonable adjustments necessary to meet your specific requirements.
Many individuals have long-term medical conditions which are well controlled by medication or mobility / learning difficulties for which they have developed adequate coping methods. In such cases, whilst no intervention may be required to support the individual. However, it is still important that a disclosure is completed in order to ensure that teaching staff are made aware of the coping strategies in place and any potential issues (however unlikely). In this way we can ensure that our practices accommodate successful coping strategies and that our teaching staff are adequately informed to deal with any issues which may arise.

Our Disability Advisers is available to give advice and guidance in confidence on any of the issues mentioned on this website.

If you are studying at a USW partner college please contact your college to discuss your support requirements.

Under the Disability Service Confidentiality Framework, all information you provide is treated as sensitive and is held confidentially, except in the most extreme circumstances (i.e. Where: you are putting yourself at some serious risk; your behaviour is adversely affecting the legal rights of others; staff are being placed in a position where their professional integrity is compromised; disclosure is required by law). In such circumstances, staff would seek to discuss the situation with you before breaching confidence.

When you meet with a Disability Adviser for the first time, you will be asked to sign a Data Consent Agreement. In signing the Data Consent Agreement you are agreeing that the DDS can store your information and share appropriate information with specified individuals (please note: If you do not want any information shared within the University or wider, the support which can be provided may be restricted). Your Disability Adviser will also discuss with you, the option to give an Enhanced Disclosure, giving permission for some information about your disability to be made available to your faculty (this is entirely optional and will be discussed in full during your Adviser appointment).

Contact Us

If you are studying at a USW partner college please contact your college to discuss your support requirements.

You may benefit from a session of mobility and orientation training in which we can show you around the campus to familiarise yourself with the facilities and the best routes to take. You may wish to make use of our designated disabled parking bays, conveniently positioned near to the main entrances to the buildings. Campus Services require proof of an official European Blue Parking Permit. It may well be that timetabling and room allocation issues can be looked at to make getting around campus easier.
Materials in different formats are only provided following appropriate recommendation, requests can be made for course materials and learning resources to be available on different coloured paper, in large print, in Braille, on disc, or on audio. Please inform the Disability Service of your alternative format requirements so that this information can be passed on to your academic tutors.
If you feel that you would benefit from some support or assistance whilst on campus, please discuss your situation and requirments with a Disability Adviser. For those who are eligible, additional support such as note-taking, buddy or library support etc may be available via DSA.
Study Skills Support

Students who are registered with the Disability Service may be eligible for Study Skills Support which involves working on a one-to-one basis on coursework such as essays, projects, dissertations and presentations. Working with a Dyslexia Tutor may involve guidance with researching, structuring and planning essays, referencing, support in writing and delivering presentations, and exam revision along with organisation and time management skills.(although this list is not exhaustive).

You may also benefit from meeting with a member of the Student Development & Study Skills Service based within the library. They will be able to give you some useful study tips and strategies for managing workload.

Student Development and Study Skills Service

The University is keen to draw up a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) for any students that would have difficulty with using stairs in the event of an emergency evacuation. Your PEEP therefore needs to be identified on your Individual Support Plan which the Disability Service will put together. Your faculty will then draw up a PEEP in liaison with the University’s Occupational Health service.
There is no cost to meet with a Disability Adviser. If you are interested in receiving support, you will have the opportunity to discuss available funding to cover the cost of support.
Dyslexia and Specific Learning Difficulties
Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs)
DSA Needs Assessments

A Needs Assessment is an integral part of the Disabled Students Allowances (DSA) application process. Needs assessments explore your approaches to learning alongside the requirements of your course so that you can be allocated support via DSA that best matches your needs.